Don’t Meet Your Villains Without Their Wigs

[Verse 1]
Fear.
This is my midlife crisis.
Writing poems about pain
at midnight
while reruns of Seinfeld
play on Netflix.

I stare into the ceiling
like it owes me an answer.
I count all the things
I thought I'd have figured out
by now.

[Chorus]
I don't want to meet my villains
without their wigs.
I don't want to know
what they look like underneath.
I've spent my whole life
running from the monsters
only to find out
some of them look like me.

[Verse 2]
I battled a bad childhood.
Battled booze into my thirties.
And now I am battling
for my life
in my forties.

Different war.
Same dumb soldier.
Still dragging my body
through the smoke,
still trying to figure out
what the hell I'm fighting for.

[Chorus]
I don't want to meet my villains
without their wigs.
I don't want to know
what they look like underneath.
I've spent my whole life
running from the monsters
only to find out
some of them look like me.

[Bridge]
I relive my sins
like a half-drunk detective
solving a cold case.

Every clue
leads back to me.

Every dead end
has my fingerprints on it.

And somewhere in the wreckage
I am still looking
for a reason
to keep going.

[Final Chorus]
So let me meet my villains
with their wigs still on.
Let me believe
the worst is already gone.
I've spent my whole life
running from the monsters.

Maybe that's the trick.

Maybe the monster
was never the ending.

Maybe it's the part of me
that still wants
to see tomorrow.