why does sadness stay with us longer than happiness?

As humans,
we're programmed to experience negative emotions
more intensely than positive ones.

I remember particularly nice days, obviously,
but when I think of life-changing moments,
it's always the worst experiences that come to mind first.

Why do poets point to trauma more than the moon?
I still sometimes think about Kendra Jean,
even though it happened years ago.

Of course, it’s totally OK to hold on to bad memories,
but why do they stick with us so much more than good ones?
Is sorrow just a stronger emotion than joy?

There are weeks where decades happen,
joy is less likely to represent danger,
which is why we are less likely to deal with it emotionally.

Many people haven’t learned to celebrate joy,
but I want to celebrate joy more than sorrow,
so I am making changes to do just that.

Processing a negative emotion like heartbreak
can take quite a bit of work,
but I am gonna stay up at night thinking about joy instead.