Eye Scream, Primate Navigation, and Lightning Design

I refer to something
that took place 20 years ago
as if it went down 20 days ago.

Fred was right;
time is, indeed, a flat circle,
jutting out all around our center.

I look back via music and smells;
I can smell Rollie's vitamin breath,
and hear Laurie play Toots for me. 

Like the greatest writers
of comedy and horror,
I use what I see like a yesterland knife. 

Visions of arduous existence,
the universe rolled up into a doughnut,
and me in the middle. 

My eyes scream, because
I am trying to navigate this modern world
with nothing but primate perception. 

My heart burns, because
I am trying to interpret the design of lightning
with nothing but these wayward words. 

Call me a scoundrel creature,
call for me in the middle of the mayhem,
and I will try to slice my way out of ghosts. 

Back to the land of the living,
because I am not ready for what's next,
the place behind the darkness.