and the office of apartment complex I lived in with my sister
loaned movies on VHS.
When I got through all mainstream films,
and past the indie flicks of the day,
I started watching older films, classics,
When I got through all mainstream films,
and past the indie flicks of the day,
I started watching older films, classics,
but none of them stuck with me, including Chinatown.
I started college as a film major,
because I loved movies, but what I didn’t know
is that I loved the stories more, the human condition,
so the semester before I changed majors,
I took a screenwriting class and in it
we had to watch Chinatown, but again I did not connect to the film
I started college as a film major,
because I loved movies, but what I didn’t know
is that I loved the stories more, the human condition,
so the semester before I changed majors,
I took a screenwriting class and in it
we had to watch Chinatown, but again I did not connect to the film
for some reason, probably youth and youngmanhood.
Today I started reading a new book about the making of Chinatown,
the changing of the guard in Hollywood;
Today I started reading a new book about the making of Chinatown,
the changing of the guard in Hollywood;
produced by Robert Evans, directed by Roman Polanski,
and starring Jack Nicholson, it is said to be the greatest script ever written,
and so I decided to give it another go.
From the old Paramount logo and the opening credits,
and starring Jack Nicholson, it is said to be the greatest script ever written,
and so I decided to give it another go.
From the old Paramount logo and the opening credits,
to the no-frills chase of story,
I found myself enthralled in a way that was unexpected
I found myself enthralled in a way that was unexpected
because I don’t remember the film at all
from the previous lives in which I saw it,
thus lending the lesson that one can evolve
and change opinions thus it is important to retry, revisit things.
Young me didn’t identify with the film,
from the previous lives in which I saw it,
thus lending the lesson that one can evolve
and change opinions thus it is important to retry, revisit things.
Young me didn’t identify with the film,
and especially its ending because I hadn’t gone through the trenches of life,
learning that endings aren’t always happy, resolved.
I rewatched Chinatown on a Saturday night
in Brooklyn at the age of 39, and enjoyed it,
the culmination of the film’s assault on the expectations of the viewer, me.
I rewatched Chinatown on a Saturday night
in Brooklyn at the age of 39, and enjoyed it,
the culmination of the film’s assault on the expectations of the viewer, me.