A SIMPLE SOUL AT BABY’S ALL RIGHT

Totally uncool and nerdy –
but confident again after a long stretch
of being unconfident –
qualities I shared 
with the Baby’s All Right audience
while opening for a band 
the other night. 

Pendulums swing back and forth, 
of which “being different” 
can get you both alienated and celebrated, 
all at once. 

Yet, the nuance of that truth 
is that it makes your sense of “self” 
feel like a house of mirrors. 

The purpose of poetry 
is to analyze the clash 
between who you think you are, 
who you really are, 
and how all your relationships fall 
in-between those thoughts. 

Thus, my set was like 
a character-driven literary work; 
to pick a poem was to pick a life/chapter 
filled with heartbreaks and wonders. 

The room was not just filled 
with music-lovers as much as story-tellers,
but maybe someone I had written about,
and thus was reading aloud about,
was in the audience that night,
but probably not and I am glad.

My voice felt paced and rich; 
as if I was slowly dropping golden coins 
rather than vocal notes. 
I break down verses, again, like a literary work; 
making sure they remembered 
the emotional weight of poems 
like one does the color of the sky 
or the smell of an Autumn wind.