For Example

When someone tells us
that we are selfish, it is often
because we are not doing
what they want us to do.

People who call us selfish are usually doing so 
because their needs (or demands) have not been met. 
You have refused to give them something 
and therefore you are selfish. 

According to them, being selfish is bad 
because it is all about your needs being placed above theirs. 
But wait, isn’t that exactly what they are doing now, 
calling you selfish because you chose to meet your own needs and not theirs? 

Does this not imply that their needs are more important than yours?
Something tells me this charge of selfishness 
is not coming from a place of genuine moral concern 
but from a place of frustration.

We are living in dangerous times 
in which, saying “No” is considered being selfish.
We are taught to not be selfish theoretically 
which highlights the hypocrisy of society.

I have been called selfish 
for making decisions that benefit me, 
without hurting anyone else, 
because those decisions don’t benefit the other person. 

In other words, 
for making choices that make my life better, 
without also making your life better. 
I mean, how dare I?