86 Nightmares

I still have dreams
in which I am 
bartending or serving tables,
always in the weeds. 

It's been almost a decade since,
but if you've ever waited tables,
you know the dreams can persist
years after you've stopped serving dishes.

It's always something small,
like I’ve forgotten the extra horseradish
that the guest requested,
and small mistakes that snowball.

Suddenly there are a lot of guests coming in,
the tension became too much,
my eyes shot open, I sat up, 
feeling stressed, anxious.

This happens often,
and sometimes certain people are there,
from certain establishments, 
certain established times in my life. 

I was spending a few hours 
in the Chicago O’Hare Airport in between flights 
and got a bite to eat at Wolfgang Puck’s restaurant there,
watching the servers buzz around gave me PTSD.