Go Far

I enjoy a spot
of tea every evening,
and I am only a poet,
because I never learned
to play the guitar.

At one point,
in my teens,
I told my older sister
that I may join the navy;
I'm glad she talked
me out of it.

The sun doesn't see me
like I see it
and hide
while the blood
drains from my feathers.

To be a man
in the middle,
with a past,
and hopefully a future,
is a terribly terrific thing to consider.

Karma doesn't exist,
because if it did,
my breakfast today
would have been bagels
and booze.

Think about the fact
that no one in the world
has our history,
our timeline, our verve,
love, life for life,
benches, bullshit, back and forth.

I enjoy a Fernet Branca
some evenings, not all,
and I want to watch a show with you,
and existentially wage some wasted time
if I only had wings.