red deer scene

I venture into the music venue
and hear the words that I have heard before.
tokyo speaks of brooklyn and vide versa. 
it is a forest of familiar faces.
all wearing weird hats and tiny shoes. 
spelling their names wrong. 
it's a wednesday - which is spelled wrong. 

my elbow hits a human and I apologize.
she says it's okay and follows me moving. 
I could crush a thousand beers, but I remain sober.
for tonight, for a job interview tomorrow, for a later I want to remember. 
I glide between people across streets of dreams and conversations. 
there is nothing better than the overheards on a New York night. 
and I am just a hipster huddled in the middle. 
of life, of nowhere, of course.

while dancing to the band.
I lock eyes with the gal I accidentally elbowed before.
she smiles and nods.
has no idea I want to live in that moment forever.
pay attention to the map of my existence.
think about my middle name. 

at the bar, ordering a water.
she approaches me. 
her name is Holly.
I tell her to guess my middle name.
I probably only have one more good love up my sleeve. 
a chill touches the base of my neck. 
we exchange numbers.
and I get the fuck out of there before I ruin it. 
later, I listen to same band on Spotify.
and replay the red deer scene in my head.
then I hide my phone in old coats.