Jawn in the Tights

she crossed the street
and my new friend from Philly
gave me the nudge
saying she gave me the elevator eyes.

I ain't buying it,
but we walked in that direction
because that was the way
to the bar and it was cold.

it was so cowboy karaoke place
under a blanket of snow,
and it was midnight packed
with a big girl singing Bruno Mars bullshit.

Alex ordered the beers
even though he doesn't drink,
and it showed because the dude
came back with Miller Highlifes.

I went to the bathroom
to do blow with Bill from Jersey
and regretted it immediately,
because Minnesota coke can't be clean.

back at the booth,
Alex was giddy as shit.
What's your dealio?
I asked.

She is here, he said,
and she is looking at you right now.
Me? no fucking way.
He was serious.

I turned around and sure enough
he was right, the girl with the jawn in tights
had taken off her coat and hat
and positioned herself in line of sight.

she was blonde with brown roots,
and her hair was in a braid wrapped around her head;
I loved her immediately.
we smiled at each other.

she was with another girl
and two guys
but our eyes kept meeting
making our lips curl up at the edges.

I imagined our life together
and us fucking or fighting over who was supposed to do the dishes;
I had this whole scenario play out in my head
and I knew what I needed to do.

I finished my shit beer, took a shot of shitty whiskey,
almost threw up, paid the tab, and marched over to her,
whispered into her ear that she is beautiful
and that I hope someone tells her that every day of her life.

then I went outside and got an Uber
back to the hotel, because I wanted to hold her
as a perfect possibility in my heart forever
and not let life ruin it.